Saturday, April 12, 2008
12 Apr 08
I fitted the new rear cross-section piece this morning. Ben showed up soon after, and he and I went down to Hunt's to get some steel tubing that he is going to use to make a couple trusses with. I trimmed the edges of the rear hat section and fitted it between the wheel wells next. Ben was working on cutting pieces for his truss, and I began laying out a bolt pattern for 2 stainless steel reinforcement pieces that will fit on each side of the tunnel tower. It was time for lunch, and Ben, Caroline, Hunt and I went down to the airport to eat. After lunch, Ben washed and waxed the 2nd butterfly panel mold to prepare it for a glue-up. He and Caroline put down the initial straight and cross layers while I drilled the holes in the reinforcement pieces for the front of the tunnel. Hunt came up, and he and I glued one of them on by drilling and tapping all the holes into the tunnel tower and bolting it in. After finishing this, Hunt and I went out to finish running the wire to the new shop. I dug some more trench to get the conduit the rest of the way to the building, and we ran the tubing up the wall and mounted a couple boxes. We had a visit from a couple nice guys who were visiting the engineering school at NC State for the weekend, and we hung out with them for a while. Once they left, we looked at the wiring for a few minutes, and, after a run to Home Depot for some breakers, Hunt finished it up. After dinner, Caroline and I came back out, and she proceeded to glue up some 45degree layers on the butterfly panel mold while I went about gluing on the reinforcement piece on the other side. When I finished, I went out to the new room and helped her finish up. We almost finished by 11:00pm and are tired again tonight.