Saturday, January 19, 2008
19 Jan 08
I finished removing the butterfly panel on the passenger side this morning. I made a few holes in the mold of the underlying panels, so I crawled inside the mold and glued blocks in behind to fill the spaces. Soon after, Caroline came out to help Hunt and I try to start laying up a real butterfly panel. We cut several strips for each layer and glued them with epoxy from Daubert Chemicals. We used a large vacuum bag for pressure, which worked fine. There are a couple of areas where the veneer wrinkled or bridged the curvature of the mold which we will have to grind out, but since these parts aren't structural, this doesn't bother us. I was distracted for most of the process watching UNC drop a close one to Maryland, but the part was a success in spite of this fact.